Sunday, February 17, 2008

Jeff Stahler, et al.


I will dedicate other posts to other cartoonists that have left impressions upon me and influence my style. There are a bunch. But briefly, I'd like to give a heartfelt nod to Jeff Stahler. And to tell you of a decades long game of musical drawing boards - in a world of infinite cartoonists and finite full-time positions.

Jeff, besides being a great guy, is a terrific cartoonist. I've known Jeff and his work probably since the early 80's in Columbus, Ohio. Jeff is another graduate of the Columbus College of Art and Design. Jeff's stuff appeared regularly in Columbus Monthly Magazine in those days. Which you could say that was because he was also the art director. But I wouldn't... his work deserved to be there regardless. That was the only reason I ever bought the magazine. Later I was so eager, after Jeff left, to have my stuff in Columbus Monthly, I gave it away.

Later, Jeff became the editorial cartoonist at the old Columbus Citizen-Journal. Some years later, when the C-J closed its doors and Columbus became yet another single-daily city, Jeff ended up in Cincinnati at the old Cincinnati Post. Jim Borgman was, and is, at the Cincinnati Enquirer. What a lucky city. Well, except for having Marge Schott and Jerry Springer too...

After many years, the Post too folded and Cincinnati too joined the now long list of single-daily cities. The Columbus Dispatch, eager to grab Jeff (Jeff is editorial stuff is widely syndicated and his panel "Moderately Confused" appears in like a zillion papers as well), but not wanting to rudely push Jim Larrick, who had been there for quite a few years, into the unemployment office, quickly and conveniently found a place for him, as editorial cartoonist, at their large chain of Columbus suburban weeklies.

Where I just happened to be at, and had been for maybe ten years, working as freelancer. So, the music stopped and I was out of the game. And I couldn't be happier for Jeff. If I was to be bumped - and it is all part of the business, albeit here somewhat indirectly, I am glad it was to someone I know, admire and respect. Jeff and his family get to stay in Ohio... and I get to see Jeff's work all the time...

1 comment:

Jonah D said...

One of these days, Mike. One of these days...