Thursday, February 14, 2008

John Johns from the AiP Course Catalog...

... "for the academic years 1974-1976"

It was from this catalog I chose the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I had been giving serious thought to applying to the Columbus College of Art and Design in Ohio. I gave my high school art teacher the CCAD catalog and asked him to take a look at it and give me his thoughts. He said he would, if I would take a look at this catalog - and he handed me this one. I saw that AiP had cartooning as a required course... with advanced cartooning as an elective. So it didn't take me long to choose!

Flipping through the catalog: tuition was a whopping $510.00 per quarter! "Room and board" (at Duquesne University's dorms) was just over $490.00 per quarter. The school day was 8:30am to 3:15pm with a forty-five minute lunch, five days a week. Most classes were held once a week, half-day - three hours. Some were six - the entire day. It was a neat, condensed and intense, no-nonsense approach to education. Although, admittedly I had a pretty nonsensical approach most of the time.

As I recall, we started out the first quarter, divided and grouped alphabetically. I was in with those with the last names that began with "G" and with "H". I went through the summers, to graduate early, and so that quarter we lost of few who took the summer off and were lumped in with the "E's" and the "F's". And, thus, I met Will Finn. By the beginning of the fall quarter, they shuffled us around and we acquired some "B's". And, thus, I met my wife (well, she wasn't my wife at the time... you know what I mean).

No comments: