Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"My cousin? Not in THAT uniform, you're not!"


This past weekend I went to my old hometown in Upstate New York. Mostly to see family. But not without coincidence, there was a Civil War reenactment event there too. I will be posting more pics later, but this is one of my favorites.

I hadn't seen many of my family for quite a few years - sadly, not since the last couple of funerals. But I had heard, through the grapevine, that my cousin, Scott Payne was a Civil War reenactor as well - and would likely be at this event. I hadn't seen Scott for almost 25 years.

On Saturday, I was looking at the sutler's wares, when I was tapped on the shoulder by a Confederate officer.

"Are you from Michigan?," he asked. I assured him that yes, I was.

And so then, this Rebel says, "I am your cousin... Scott!"

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Not in that uniform, you're not!"

And so we spend the rest of the day having a family reunion - replete with such photographs as the above.

But like I said, more later!

No comments: