Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A '57 MG in a '59 MG



During the aforementioned trip to Upstate New York, one thing I really wanted to do... photographically, that is... was to get a picture of me in my Uncle Neil Payne's classic MG-A.

It is two years younger than I am... but it runs better and the body is in better shape.

When his brother, my Uncle Warner, died almost ten years ago, he was in the middle of restoring it. Both he and Warner have had several MGs over the years... and so Uncle Neil happily and deftly picked up where Warner had left off.

The bottom photograph... is of me in the spring of 1960 with another MG-A (Uncle Warner's). I am still a 1957 model. But can only guess (and would likely be wrong) what year this MG is. But as I recall, it was blue as well.

Scott Payne, my Rebel cousin from earlier blogs, is Warner's youngest son.

It was Neil's son - and my cousin - Glenn, took me for a wonderful ride in it on the winding roads and rolling hills of rural Broome County. It took little or no arm twisting.

No comments: