Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fr. Bob Miller



Last night I was blessed to have attended the Ann Arbor (MI) Civil War Roundtable's meeting where Fr. Robert Miller, the author of the terrific book "Both Prayed to the Same God: Religion and Faith in the American Civil War" spoke.

I had bought my copy last year (after excerpts were reprinted in a couple of issues of the "Citizens' Companion" - a civilian Civil War Reenactor magazine) and have corresponded some with him. I've enjoyed both him and his book.

It was a great time and Fr. Bob is a gifted speaker and studied Civil War Nut. And I am happily and proudly plugging his book here!

I would direct you to Fr. Bob's website: http://www.robertjmiller.net.

Religion was unashamedly and unabashedly important in America in those days and Fr. Bob goes into wonderful detail on how the Church was the center of life preceeding the Civil War... and so much more.

He has a couple of wonderful chapters on the military chaplain during the war. I would like to quote briefly one of my favorite passages... (and I have many - I must show restraint otherwise I'd quote the entire volume!)...

The Civil War chaplain - like all pastors of any time period - often met with resistance or even animosity (and often, and sadly, justifiably). There was a vote to chose the chaplain of the 73rd New York. The results were described as such: "Over 400 voted for Catholic priest, 154 for any kind of Protestant minister, 11 for a Mormon and 335 said they could find their way to hell without the assistance of clergy."

It is a great read and one you won't regret. And to quote LeVar Burton on "Reading Rainbow": "...you don't have to take my word for it - read for yourself."

Fr. Bob has a few other books as well.. I can assume - and I am sure correctly - that they are every bit worth the time, energy and money to read!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Gillett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

ha ha! you're quoting Lavar Burton from Reading Rainbow!!