Saturday, April 12, 2008

Angola, Indiana


This is a terrific, terrific event. I attended last year (second from the left, back row) was very glad I did, went home with a glowing report - and this year the 21st Michigan is going to be a part of it! I had been asked to come and be the Union chaplain for the weekend (pre-battle prayers, period church service, and battlefield ministry). I didn't know a soul, but said "YES!" In reenacting, it only takes a minute to make a "pard"! Everyone was incredibly friendly and warm. And it was a great time. The little tow-headed fellow in the front row - son of one of the privates - was our "runner". And he got shot and took the "hit" well. I picked him up - whispered to him to hang limp in my arms - after running some 20 or 25 yards, I realized I was all done in and whispered to him again, "You are too heavy, I am going to get shot and killed too... just fall like a rag doll when I do!" I did and he did and so we took a nice sunny afternoon nap the rest of the battle!

Mark you calendars! September 26-28 in the 85 acre Commons Park in Angola, Indiana. It is hosted by the 30th Indiana Infantry, Co. F and the 50th Virginia Infantry, Co. D

Check out their website http://angolareenactment.com/

No comments: