Tuesday, March 11, 2008

From Will Finn's Sketchbook...




I finally got out to the garage to hunt for Will's sketchbook (from December of 1977), from our days at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I am sure I have more of his stuff (on envelopes and in my sketchbooks, et c.) , but it was getting kind of cold out there. Maybe if spring ever comes to Michigan, I'll head out to look for more. I'll post some additional stuff over the next few months from his sketchbook (as long as it lasts or he tells me to knock it off!). But these are some of my favorites.

Starting at the bottom is a quick sketch of me blowing a gasket... and he nails me quite adeptly too. The background is that I had just found out that I gotten switched out of our classes together (and a little hottie I like to call "wife"). Ralph Bacon had gotten to the classroom before me and broke the news to everyone... that I "was no longer with them". They all thought I had died.

The top two pencil drawings Will did of mutual buddy and classmate - and the aforementioned, Ralph. Ralph was - and is - quite an artist in his own right, had this terrific white-fellow "afro" (much like the guy in "Room 222"... Bernie?). Ralph also was big time into all things medieval, including making his own chain mail from scratch. Will's got him down in the top one and the two as "Ralph Mouse" is as much Ralph as "Iago" is Gilbert Gottfried and "Cogsworth" is David Ogden Stiers (two of Will's characters at Disney as supervising animator).

Check out Ralph's stuff at http://www.nois.com/baconportfolio.html

2 comments:

Will Finn said...

Holy moly Mike--what a blast from the past! I sadly don't have as much of my old AIP stuff (some of it was lost in a move) but this brings back memories. I will definitely check out ol' Ralph's site too.

Do his knights ever battle your Union soldiers?

Mike Gillett said...

Will - if you'd like, I'd be happy to return the sketchbook to its real owner. Let me know...