Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fran Ford


This is a portrait of Fran Ford. Fran was one of the cartooning instructors at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh for many years. I recently heard from another AiP alum upon whom, Fran, along with John Johns and Thomas Helwig, had a great and lasting impact. It is at his request (and my pleasure) that I post this pic. This is from a promotional piece the school put together touting their staff... around 1978, I would suppose. As time goes by, I will post and comment on other instructors. Any requests?

3 comments:

Will Finn said...

Fran was the guy who kept telling us cartoons would all be done with computers, and he was way ahead of the curve! I should have listened more carefully to him back in 1976!

Great new posts, pal. I just stumbled across my hi-skule foto and it looks a lot like yours, (only pastier). I'll send a scan if it doesn't bust the scanner.

Mike Gillett said...

That's funny, Will. I don't remember him saying that... but it sure sounds like him: "Oh god yeah, a whole new ballgame!".

I'll look forward to seeing your pic!

Terry Ford Aiello said...

Fran Ford was my father.

I was both surprised and delighted after "googling" his name to find his picture and your comments.

I am a graphic designer and made the transition from drawing board to computers.

I don't remember my dad making the comment either however, I can hear him saying "a whole new ballgame"

Thanks

Terry Ford Aiello