Monday, January 28, 2008

Caricatures on Ice



This past weekend I had a terrific, if cold, outdoor two-day caricaturing gig... at the Plymouth (MI) Ice Spectacular... as an attention-getter in the Art Institute of Michigan booth. AiMich is a new art school here in suburban Detroit and is a "sister school" to my alma mater, the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I've been doing caricatures now for thirty years - happily not all out doors and not all in the middle of winter - taught by the late AiP President and caricaturist John Johns. Getting to do caricatures, through the school then, was a boost to my frail ego and to my thin portfolio, and helped fill, if partially, both wallet and belly. I, literally, wouldn't have graduated if not for the extra money from the caricature gigs.

It was nice to return the favor.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Hey Mike, re: invasion from your neighbour: let us not forget the Aroostook War. Love your work. I've been checkin' out your blog every now and again for the past few months. Good stuff and I love your caricatures. Blessings brother,

P+

Jonah D said...

What a long, strange trip it's been!

Pastor Pooped-out